Essential Oils and Pets
If you love using Young Living products in your home, you’ve probably wondered how you can share their amazing benefits with your animals.
- Which oils are safe to use?
- How much can I apply?
- Should I diffuse or apply topically?
Check out this quick-and-easy how-to guide for using essential oils with animals.*
Most animals are more sensitive than humans to essential oils.
- Start by diluting heavily and use in moderation.
- Every animal is different, so carefully observe how each animal responds to the oils. Use common sense and good judgment as you try different methods.
- Take special care to not get essential oils in an animal’s eyes.
- Avoid using high-phenol oils such as Oregano and Thyme with any animals, especially cats.
- Use special caution when using essential oils with cats. Cats are also generally averse to citrus essential oils.
- Read all labels and do not use anything containing Xylitol on dogs. Examples (not an exhaustive list):
- Sulfurzyne powder (the capsules are ok)
- BLM powder (the capsules are ok)
- Some of the Thieves toothpastes
- When diffusing around animals, especially at first, you should always leave the door to the room open so they can get away from the scent if they want. For birds and other animals in cages, you should start by diffusing in another room and move it closer every few days, always monitoring how they are reacting.
Your animal’s size affects the amount of oil you should use.
- For smaller animals like cats and small dogs, use 3–5 drops. Be sure to dilute 80–90 percent prior to application (see below for dilution suggestions).
- For larger animals, like large dogs, start with 3–5 drops. Unless otherwise indicated on the product label, dilution is unnecessary (see below for dilution suggestions)..
- For very large animals, like horses and cattle, start with 5-8 drops. Unless otherwise indicated on the product label, dilution is unnecessary.
Dilution depends on your dog’s weight. To dilute, use a carrier oil such as
V-6™Vegetable Oil Complex.
- 0-25lbs – 75% dilution (1 drop essential oil to 4 drops carrier oil)
- 26-45lbs –50-75% dilution
- 46-75lbs – 50% dilution
- 76-90lbs – 25-50% dilution
- 90-150lbs –25% dilution
- +150lbs – 0-25% dilution
Cats, ferrets, rabbits, reptiles:
80 – 90% dilution (1 drop of essential oil to 5 drops carrier oil)
Require minimum to no dilution (1 drop essential oil in 1 tsp carrier oil to help disperse)
Birds & Amphibians:
90-95% or hydrosols (1 drop essential oil mixed with water in 8 ounce spray bottle)
*Consult your veterinarian before using essential oils on your animals or if you have any questions
Apply oils to yourself or diffuse to introduce animals to essential oils and help them get comfortable.
- Wear oils around your animals, diffuse in their space, or apply to your hands and let the animal smell them.
- If your animal is jittery or resistant to essential oils, try applying an oil to yourself and staying near the animal for several minutes so it can get used to the aroma.
Once they’re used to essential oils, animals can respond well to topical application.
- For cats and dogs, paws are a great place to apply essential oils.
- For hoofed animals, we recommend application on the spine or flanks.
- Try rubbing oils onto your own hands and then stroking the animal’s fur.
- For large or hard-to-reach areas, combine essential oils with V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex or water in a spray bottle for easier application.
Essential oils can be administered internally.
- Some essential oils can be mixed with your animal’s food.
- For large animals, you can pull out the bottom lip and drop oils directly into the mouth.
Young Living offers a full line of animal-specific products.
- Animal Scents Shampoo
- Animal Scents Ointment
- Animals Scents Oils (available in a collection and individually)
- Animal Scents Dental Pet Chews
- Animal Scents Cat Treats
Other Young Living Supplements which may be beneficial
- NingXia Red
- Life 5
*If your pet or animal has a known health issue, please consult your veterinarian before administering essential oils.
This information pertains to the use of Young Living oils and products only.